Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Peel-n-Stick Nailpolish

I recently discovered peel-n-stick nail polish, and I have to say, I'm in love. These manicures average $10/box with enough pieces for at least 2 applications if you use each piece twice (1 piece does matching fingers on both hands, except the thumb.) They come in both solid colors and patterns- I'm of the opinion that $10 for solid color nail polish isn't worth it, but the patterns look like they were done at a salon and are well worth it.

I'm going to compare a couple of mainstream brands: Sally Hansen Salon Effects Nail Strips and Incoco Dry Nail Applique. Both sets come with the same amount of strips (2 sets of 8- a total of 16 pieces) and apply the same way- peel, stick, trim, and file. I use a base coat and top coat with both. Unused strips can dry out (kind of like a contact), so how you store them is important.

Sally Hansen Salon Effects Nail Polish

Thickness: These are pretty thick, like several layers of real nail polish, and can be peeled off in a sheet.
Chipping: Both products are marked for up to 10 days chip-free. I'm a waitress so I use my hands a lot and I chipped this set the first day, but the Laced Up pattern is pretty forgiving on chips. I managed to stretch this manicure out for about 5 days.
Availability: Available in pretty much every drugstore that carries nail products, including my grocery store, riteaid, and walmart.
Variety: The vast majority of these patterns are geared toward teens.
Storage: Each set of 8 strips is sealed separately with the box containing 2 sealed sets. Once they're open, they're not particularly resealable, but you can choose to open only 1 at a time.
Packaging: A nail polish sized vellum box, containing instructions, a cuticle stick and nail buffer/file, and 2 sealed packages of nail strips.


Incoco Dry Nail Applique


Thickness: These are much thinner than the Sally Hansen ones and somewhat transparent, like a single coat of nail polish.
Chipping: I've only had mine on for a day and haven't worked with them yet. My theory is that, being thinner, they're going to be more difficult to chip.
Availability: These are a little harder to get. They used to be sold by Walgreens, but with the Sally Hansen craze were discontinued from the walgreens line. They have nail bars in about 4-5 states across the country (not mine) and an online store. The online store is currently out of stock for a lot of patterns, though customer service told me those patterns should be back in stock this weekend. Amazon carries a limited amount of these- mostly solid color and french tip kits, and I found some special sellers on ebay.
Patterns: Incoco has a lot more patterns than Sally Hansen, ranging from teen to sophisticated, and french tip.
Storage: Both sets of 8 come in one vacuum sealed foil package, with a tape strip for resealing. I haven't reopened mine, but am told they can still dry out in the resealed package.
Packaging: A thin vellum pillow box containing instructions, 1 vacuum sealed package of nail strips, resealing tape, cuticle stick and nail buffer/file, and 2 packs of nail polish remover.


No comments:

Post a Comment