Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Mineral Makeup Company Run Down

Some things you should know when reading my reviews:
  • I started using mineral makeup in 2007. I've sampled more companies than you even knew existed. Many of them have closed in the 3+ years I've been wearing minerals and many failed to leave an impression. If they couldn't leave and impression, I'm not reviewing them.
  • I know that quality makeup can be had at a very budget friendly price point, so expensive companies aren't worth my time.
  • I like makeup with either a creamy/soft & silky texture or a youthful finish, and a company needs a variety of finishes in their shadows to be worth my time
  • Customer Service can be a very big deal

Archetype Cosmetics:
Fun gothic theme, very unique and pretty super shimmer shadows, bad customer service. Shipping times were insane.

Cory Cosmetics:
This company offers some of the heaviest coverage foundation on the market, with enough color options to make a match. They're affordable too, with great sampling options. Shadows were hit or miss for me, but some are truly amazing. Some downfalls: occassionally foundations come not quite mixed thoroughly (color streaking) and occassionally packages come with a smoky smell to them (though i've never received makeup that smelled, just the outside packaging)

Dreamworld Minerals
This is a company with truly quality makeup that bit off more than it could chew. It's a one woman show with an obscene amount of custom foundation colors and huge collections of new colors all the time-Ellie is a doll and she wants to please everybody- shipping times are long. The foundations and finishers are some of my absolute favorites and it's easy to find shadows you'll fall in love with at dreamworld. The lippies are unique. If you don't mind the wait, the product is trully quality and customer service is still pretty good, but I really feel that the entire company needs streamlining so both the owner and the customers can be really happy- Fewer products (still of amazing quality) and smaller samples(they're rather large) would go a long way with this company. I believe in Ellie and her product, but feel that she's in just a little over her head.

Everyday Minerals
EDM is a budget friendly line of good minerals- good but not great. I found the foundations never looked quite right on me (rather dull and dry), and the lippies moisturizing but lackluster. A lot of their blushes turn orange, but I found several to love- apple is a favorite among many.  I did fall in love with their sunlight undereye concealer powder though and still rank it among the best powder concealers i've ever used. They offer really wonderfully priced sample kits, and professional packaging. Their bamboo line of brushes is nice (and really pretty), though the density is lacking and I still prefer the silver handled line popular among most companies. If you're just discovering mineral makeup and want to shop around for what fits for you, EDM is a good company to try- i don't think you'll be disappointed. There have been customer service blowouts that left some of their customers feeling offended and alienated- i wasn't a diehard customer, so i didn't really experience it.

Foxy Minerals
I did my sampling from this company when it was still called ethereal minerals. I love that their lipbalm comes in a flat tube. They used to have a pineapple one which i fell in love with and stocked up on. The formula was a nice balance of moisture and wax. Kim, the owner, is very sweet and has great customer service.

Fusion of Color
Their foundations are nice, their samples small. In general, they cost a bit more than other companies and don't really have a wow factor. I never bought a full size of anything from them.

JW Cosmetics
Another resaler with great prices. Especially good site for indelibles, and cream concealers

Lumiere
Lumiere was one of my first likes. The foundation is creamy but light with easy color matches. Their brushes are wonderful quality and when they do their large brush orders each year, they usually allow customers to pre-order brushes nearly at cost (which is a helluvalot cheaper than most synthetics). I was never particularly in love with the site layout, but the customer service is good and the product is quality

M*A*D*
Mad is pretty much a resaler of mostly natural (and very popular) items such as indelibles. What is really great is their diva page of looks.

Meow
I love meow. The foundations are creamy(with a plethora of color options), sampling affordable, packaging convenient (the jumbo jars and munchkins are fantastic, more companies should have them), the service thoughtful (there is a usually a cloth bag involved). I'm not a cat person, so I'm not crazy about the theme, but really, there's worse things than a cute pair of cat eyes on a label and some leopard print tissue paper in the packing. Tammy, the owner, is also known for running contests often (almost every single holiday-not just major holidays either)- so while meow might be an ever-so-slightly higher price point than ideal, there's usually a coupon around the corner, and their forum is full of helpful gals.

My Minerals Bath & Body
reseller of classy minerals. The makeup is creamy, the shadows divine, and Lisa- the owner- is an absolute peach. It also has a really budget friendly price point. This was my first real mineral makeup company, the one i bought lots of stuff from. The skincare is nice, but it's the mists that have a true following.

Pink Quartz Minerals
For some reason, I didn't try this company for a long time. When I did, it was for their custom lipbalms in interesting flavors i just had to have (black licorice, black walnut, butter rum, teaberry, etc). When I ordered the lipbalms, shadows were included in my order, and i fell in love. They resell ecotools brushes which are a beautiful and quality eco-friendly line, and you can also find sales for PQM on etsy. When I had an issue with an item, customer service was top-notch.

Sheer Cover
Sheer cover was my intro to mineral makeup. It was on tv, i loved the celebrities that represented it, and i got roped in. The makeup is quality- though it does contain bismuth- and i still love some of their stuff, but the price point? FORGET IT. I also hate the memberships associated with the big companies. I probably tried around 50 indie mineral makeup companies looking for one that i loved that could replace sheer cover in everyway. I really liked their mascara and lip palettes.

Silk Naturals
All hail the holy grail. Silk Naturals really packs a mineral punch with a budget friendly price point, amazing customer service, a warm and welcoming forum, and quality makeup, skincare, and haircare. The foundation is one you mix your own which in all fairness is not my favorite thing (though the creamy feel and finish are fantastic), but women who can't find a color match anywhere can get one here. SN lippies are hands down my favorite of all time with a huge selection- they won an award for best lippies this year. The blushes are lovely, and the shadows are super wearable with something for everyone (sheers, neutrals, metals, mattes, neons, and shimmers) and there's always a GWP. The conditioner is my favorite- i no longer need a separate detangler, and the french lavender lotion is a true lavender scent- the best i've ever found. If you're looking around- you NEED to start here.

Taylormade Minerals
At the time of this posting, taylormade minerals is closing its doors and it's liquidating its inventory at 40% off. Most of their shadows are amazing and the bag samples were always generous if you want to grab a few before they're gone. I believe their foundation was a resale of monave, but the shadows were their own. tragic really- one of my favs.

Terra Firma Cosmetics
I will preface by saying that terra firma has a high price point (which we know from my opening statement is something i hate). However, for their price point, i will give them that they have a few of my favorite products. Terra firma sells a natural lipstain- and bloom is quite simply the perfect color for my face. I don't ever want to be without it. While their foundation is one of my favorites, i didn't have a straight color match with them and had to mix a bunch of samples together to get one. Their lipbalm is okay- the chai flavor is unique.

Zosimos Botanicals
I have some hit or miss feelings with zosimos. Their samples are affordable enough to try before you buy, but i frequently find their skincare has smells I'd just rather not endure (a common problem with natural skincare but not one i care to deal with). They do sell manuka honey and honeybush acne treatment though which are great products. The cream concealer sticks don't really offer enough coverage for my liking and are kind of greasy. LOVE their lipglosses- they have a really nice coverage for a liquid-peachfuzz is my fav. I wasn't impressed with their mineral makeup line.

No comments:

Post a Comment