Saturday, January 22, 2011

100% Pure

Several years ago, I tried 100% Pure while on a hunt for an undereye cream. Their's works fairly well, but it(the caffeine one) smells like a popcorn flavored dum-dum and costs $19/oz. The packaging is quality- nice heavy glass bottle with a pump dispenser. I couldn't take the smell, but DH uses this one daily so at least my $19 didn't go to waste.

A couple of weeks ago, I won a contest on facebook (yes, they run facebook contests daily which I think is pretty awesome) and the sample-sized products came today. I searched through their website and aside from the 3 samples I have, they really don't have a whole lot in the way of samples- most of their bath and body products come in mini/trial sizes (about 2 oz) with a small range of scents/flavors and pricing ranging from $5-$15 depending on the product. I ordered a bottle of nourishing body wash on amazon for $15/17oz (the same as on their website, but they don't currently have apple available on their site)
So, on to the contest items:

One is the eye cream i already have- I smelled it, it's the same, and i already know i don't love it, but it's nice to know that it now comes in a trial size ($6).
 The second was a brightening facial scrub + mask in one- it smells like oranges, is full of jojoba beads, and in my opinion does work. It runs $21/4oz tube. I liked it enough that I ordered a full size- though i bought mine on amazon at a $4 discount.

The third is their anti-aging red wine resveratrol nourishing cream. It goes on silky, not greasy, smells fruity (but with an underlying note of popcorn dum dum) and moisturizes well. However, being 24, it may be more moisture than my skin is really ready for.


I haven't tried any of their makeup and while I'm sure that it is quality as is everything they make, it's still really expensive, and because they use fruit pigments- their makeup has a shelf life where mineral makeup does not. In general, I approve of 100% pure as a company- they're 100% natural, 100% Vegan, and they strive to support animal rescue efforts which is a big win with me. Their priceline, however, will keep me from becoming a diehard costumer. I might try their shampoo, but I'm pretty happy with the natural haircare i already use. In truth, they're really not worse than Burt's Bees and I love Burt's Bees too, but I've been spoiled by Silk Natural's quality and budget friendly natural skincare/makeup. It is my sincerest hope that they offer samples of more of their skincare in the future and maybe some intro-sample kits. I would definitely try more of their products- and purchase the ones i fall in love with, but diving in at an average of $15-$20 a pop is a bit much for me.

Added April 8th, 2011:

So 100% Pure was recently featured on hautelook.com, a website that offers products at a 50%-75% discount from their regular purchase price, and i jumped at the chance to try a few of their products that I would never try at their regular price point. I ordered: Glossy Locks Hair Care Set, Lip Color Wheel, and Tinted Moisturizer each around $12. All products are full sized and were purchased at roughly a third of their regular price.

Glossy Locks Hair Care (8oz Shampoo/Conditioner, .5oz hair balm- regularly $38 for all 3)
Okay, I'll be blunt- I hated this and am very glad I got to try it at a discount. The scent is sickeningly sweet with again that underlying note of popcorn flavored dum dum that I hate. The shampoo is very liquidy and I felt like product was wasted. It's very gentle (which most natural 'poos are) and I don't feel like it cleans my hair. I have other natural shampoos I like better. The conditioner is a very thick cream and mine smelled like oils gone off (that bitter nutty smell that runs underneath the actual scenting- this has happened to me with certain bottles of burt's bees pre-shampoo treatment too). I felt like it didn't rinse off cleanly, was very heavy, and left a residue on my hair. I washed my hair a second time with my normal haircare products, blow-dried it, and it still felt like there was a waxiness to my hair that kept it from falling naturally and my fingers felt coated in product too. All-in-all I was very disappointed in this. I gave the tube of hair balm to my husband who tried it right away- it smells strongly of pine, but styled his hair while leaving it soft/touchable.


Island Kiss Lip Palette (Regularly $32)
I do like this palette, it comes in an adorable pink tin with a mirror in the lid, the lip colors are highly pigmented and smooth though not as moisturizing as i would like. They're labeled for scenting, but the palette smells mostly like peaches.

  
Tinted Moisturizer(regularly $32)
There aren't a lot of tinted moisturizers in the natural makeup world, so I thought I'd give this one a go. My shade wasn't available on hautelook so I bought one slightly darker than my skin with the logic being that I'd rather wear a tinted moisturizer than makeup in the summer and my skin is darker in the summer. It goes on very different in color from my skin but mellows out in a minute or two (it's considered sheer to medium coverage) and is definitely wearable for me now with lighter skin even though a different shade would probably go on perfectly without needing to mellow out. It's not greasy at all, goes on smoothly and sinks in quickly with a soft finish. It also didn't react badly with my mineral makeup or serums the way some moisturizers can. I give this an A+ and will probably consider repurchasing when I run out a long time from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment